BENEFITS TO PARTICIPATING BUSINESSES
Businesses will receive:
- Educational material
- Technical assistance
- Recognition and publicity
- Ecological Pollution Prevention Excellence Award certificate for display at the business location
- Attraction of new customers
BENEFITS TO CUSTOMERS
- Education on what steps an ecological business takes to preserve the environment
- A list of certified businesses that allows consumers to choose an ecological business
BUSINESS PROGRAM FEEDBACK
- Program development
- Development and modification of certification requirements
The Ecological Business Program was developed and staffed by members of the Lane County Pollution Prevention Coalition (P2C) team. The P2C team is a regional, mulit-agency group of air, water, wastewater, energy, hazardous waste, and solid waste professionals. Their goal is to coordinate educational messages from environmental professionals. Members of the P2C team include: City of Eugene, City of Springfield, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, Lane Regional Air Protection Agency, Lane County Waste Management, Eugene Water and Electric Board, Springfield Utility Board and Metropolitan Wastewater Management Commission.
THE ECOLOGICAL BUSINESS PROGRAM
The Ecological Business Program recognizes businesses that reach the highest standards in minimizing their environmental impact. The goal of the program is to prevent and minimize pollution generated by small businesses in the Lane County area. This is one of the first multimedia (air, water, solid waste) certification programs in the nation.
BENEFITS TO CUSTOMERS AND THE COMMUNITY
- Certified Ecological Businesses exceed local environmental requirements and insure that Best Management Practices are followed.
- Certification assures customers that the business has taken the necessary steps to reduce water and air pollution, hazardous and solid waste.
- The certification of Pollution Prevention Award signifies responsible environmental management and notifies the community that shops care about the environment.
PURPOSES OF THE PROGRAM
- Encourage businesses to prevent pollution
- Conserve natural resources
- Educate consumers and business participants about their impacts on the environment
- Encourage consumers to choose ecological businesses
- Each site is verified for compliance with program eligibility criteria
- Businesses are subject to ongoing verification to maintain eligibility
- Certified facility owners shall be responsible for notifying the P2C group through this web site or through an individual P2C member if there is to be a change of ownership at the certified facility. New owners shall reapply for certification.