AROUND THE HOME TIPS
- Be aware that many chemicals found around the home are toxic. Select less-toxic alternatives, or better yet, use non-toxic substitutes wherever possible.
- Never pour unwanted chemicals down the drain; contact Lane County's Household Hazardous Waste Program for disposal options.
- Buy chemicals only in the amount you plan to use.
Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Buy only what you need and find ways to get by with less.
- Buy at thrift stores and garage sales.
- Rent, borrow or share items not often used.
- Donate used items to charity or thrift organizations.
- Take your own cloth bags or used paper bags for groceries.
- Request “No bag please” for small purchases.
- Maintain a compost pile or worm bin for food scraps and yard debris.
- Use rechargeable batteries.
- Purchase reusable products with post-consumer recycled content.