- Wash cars and trailers on grass or other porous surfaces using water only, use a commercial car wash facility, or use a wash pad that is plumbed to a sanitary sewer.
- Never dump chemicals or wastewater containing chemicals on the ground, parking areas, catch basins, driveways, streets or into any surface water.
- Prevent leaks and spills (oil, coolant, fuel); clean up any spills or leaks with an absorbent material (kitty liter); sweep up absorbent and dispose of properly.
- Inspect vehicles and equipment regularly and keep them in good condition.
- Recycle all used motor oil and coolant.
- Find an EcoBiz-certified shop for routine auto maintenance.
- Avoid topping off gas tanks.
- Leave your car at home at least once a week (walk, bike or take the bus).
- Keep tires properly inflated. Under-inflated tires wear faster and reduce fuel economy.
- Carpool when you can.